Thank you to Lenka Cathersides for the following research.
Frank Alan Shearburn was born on the 27th of January 1897 in Gosport, Hampshire to Captain of the Royal Engineers Reginald Shearburn and Mary Ann Shearburn nee Cook. He was baptised on the 4th of April 1897 at St Paul’s church in Dorking, Surrey. At the time of the baptism, the family lived at South Street and Reginald Shearburn was working as an electrician.
Frank’s mother Agnes Augusta Shearburn died in the 1st quarter of 1897 in the Registration District of Alverstoke, Hampshire.
At the time of the 1901 Census, Reginald Shearburn, a widowed Warrant Officer of the Royal Engineers, lived with his sons, Reginald and Frank, and his parents architect William Shearburn and Mary Shearburn at 39 South Street in Dorking. The household further comprised of William’s son, stock broker’s clerk Harold Shearburn, his granddaughter Vivian Shearburn and a nursemaid and general domestic servant.
Reginald Shearburn married Maud Marie Hoyer in the 4th quarter of 1901 in the Registration District of Holborn, London.
Frank Shearburn had four half siblings: Norman Harold Shearburn born about 1901 in Clapham, London; Kenneth Lance Shearburn born about 1904 in Fifeshire North Queensferry; Mary Teresa Shearburn born about 1908 in Alderney, Channel Islands and Stella Marguerite Shearburn born about 1909 in Alderney, Channel Islands.
At the time of the 1911 Census, the family resided at Alderney, Channel Islands. Reginald Shearburn was a Captain of the Royal Engineers and Maud was looking after their children: Norman Harold Shearburn, Kenneth Lance Shearburn, Mary Teresa Shearburn and Stella Marguerite Shearburn. The household further comprised of Reginald’s son from his previous marriage Frank Shearburn.
Frank Shearburn became the 2nd Lieutenant of the Scottish Rifles on the 13th of September 1915. At this time he was a cadet of the Officers Training Corps.
He disembarked on the 4th of September 1916 to France.
Frank Shearburn, 2nd Lieutenant of the 4th Battalion, attached to the 10th Battalion, Cameronian (Scottish Rifles), was killed in an action on the 14th of September 1916 during the Battles on the Somme, France.
Frank Shearburn is buried at the Contalmaison Chateau Cemetery, Somme, France. His grave reference number is: II.A.4.
He was awarded the British War and Victory medals.
Frank’s father, Captain of the Royal Engineers, Reginald Shearburn was commended for his service during the war.
Shearburn Family History
Frank’s father Reginald Shearburn was born in the 3rd quarter of 1864 in Dorking, Surrey to builder and architect William Joseph Shearburn, born about 1834 in Dorking, Surrey and Mary Shearburn, born about 1831 in Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire.
At the time of the 1871 Census, the family lived in South Street, Dorking. William was working as a builder and Mary was looking after their five children including Reginald. The household further comprised of two servants and a visitor, Sarah Grace.
At the time of the 1881 Census, the family lived at South Street, Dorking. William Joseph Shearburn was working as an architect and Mary Shearburn was at home. The household further comprised of their children: Susannah G. Shearburn; builder William Shearburn; wine merchant clerk Frank Shearburn; builder Reginald Shearburn; Harold Shearburn and architect’s assistant George Shearburn.
Frank’s mother Agnes Augusta Cook was born about 1867 in Monk Kirby, Warwickshire to farmer Richard Samuel Cook, born about 1833 in Monk Kirby, Warwickshire and Augusta Susannah T. Cook, born about 1837 in Thurlaston, Warwickshire. Agnes was baptised on the 21st of July 1867 in Churchover, Warwickshire. At the time of the baptism, the family lived at Street Field.
At the time of the 1871 Census, the family lived at Biggin Hall, Dunchurch, Thurlaston, Warwickshire. Richard Samuel Cook was a farmer of 587 acres, employing twelve men, three boys and five women. Augusta Susannah T. Cook was at home. The household further comprised of their five children, including Agnes Augusta; and a governess, cook, housemaid, nursemaid and a visitor Elizabeth A. Laurence.
At the time of the 1881 Census, the family lived at Roundwood Farm (Lodge), Harlesden Road, Harlesden Green, Middlesex. The household comprised of the widowed retired farmer Richard Cook, his daughter Agnes Cook and a governess and cook.
At the time of the 1891 Census, Agnes Cook was visiting her future parents in law: architect William Joseph Shearburn and Mary Shearburn at 39 South Street, Dorking. The household further comprised of the Shearburn’s sons: architect George Shearburn and merchant clerk (sugar) Harold Shearburn.
Reginald Shearburn married Agnes Cook, by Banns, on the 4th of April 1894 at St Mary-Le-Bow church, City of London. At the time of the marriage, Reginald was working as an electrician and resided at Williamson’s Hotel, Bow Lane, London. Agnes Augusta lived in Dorking, Surrey.
Frank Shearburn had one brother: Reginald Sutton Shearburn born in the 1st quarter of 1895 in Gosport, Hampshire.
Born Gosport, Hampshire
Lived Dorking, Surrey
Son of Reginald Shearburn and Mary Ann Shearburn (nee Cook)
Regiment 4th Battalion attached 10th Battalion, Cameronian Scottish Rifles
Date of Death 14th September 1916
Place of Death Somme, France
Cause of Death Killed in Action
Cemetery Contalmaison Chateau Cemetery, Somme, France