Temporary Lieutenant Maurice MacKenzie
Thank you to Lenka Cathersides for the following information.
Maurice Mackenzie was born into a well known medical family, on the 14th of June 1887 in London’s Holborn District and was baptized on the 10th of July 1887 in the parish of Finsbury St Luke in Islington. At the time of his baptism the young family lived at 26 Finsbury Square in Islington and Maurice’s father worked as a doctor of medicine.
Maurice’s father was called Sir Stephen Mackenzie and mother Lady Helen Mackenzie nee Dulley.
Stephen Mackenzie was born in 1844 in Leytonstone Essex and he was baptised on the 25th of January 1845 at St John the Baptist church in Leytonstone Essex. Stephen’s parents and Maurice’s grandparents were called Stephen Mackenzie (born about 1804 at St George in the East in Middlesex) and Margaret Mackenzie nee Frances (born about 1815 at Lewes in Sussex). Stephen snr was a general practitioner and the Member of Royal College of Surgeons. After his death, by the time of the 1861 Census, Stephen jnr’s mother Margaret became a schoolmistress at a boarding school in George Lane in Woodford.
Stephen jnr became a well known physician, who was knighted in 1909 and whose portrait can be found at the National Portrait Gallery in London. Sir Stephen Mackenzie died in the 3rd quarter of 1909 in Dorking Surrey. He was buried on the 8th of September 1909 at the Municipal Cemetery in Dorking. Sir Stephen Mackenzie studied at London Hospital and at Aberdeen University where he received his doctorate in 1875. He also studied in Berlin. After his studies Stephen began working as a physician at London Hospital. He was a lecturer in pathology, pathological anatomy and theoretical and clinical medicine and also was published in numerous journals and contributed to many medical books.
Maurice’s mother Helen Dulley also came from a physician family. Helen was born in the 3rd quarter of 1841 at Wellingborough in Northamptonshire. Helen’s parents and Maurice’s grandparents were called Benjamin (born about 1808 at Wellingborough Northamptonshire) and Fanny (born about 1805 at Great Paxton Huntingdonshire) Dulley. Helen’s father was a consulting surgeon. Helens family may have been affluent as the 1871 Census reads that they employed a cook and a housemaid. Lady Helen died on the 14th of January 1921 in Dorking. She was buried on the 18th of January 1921 at the Municipal Cemetery in Dorking. She was 79 years old. Lady Helen left to her two remaining sons, Stephen Morton Mackenzie esquire of 9 Rose Hill Dorking and Andrew Ronald Mackenzie Esquire of Woodwill Cottage Leatherhead, shares in the Great Western Railways. At the time of her death, Lady Helen lived at The Croft Avenue in Dorking. Probate was granted on the 18th of March 1921.
Stephen MacKenzie and Helen Dulley married in the 3rd quarter of 1879 at Wellingborough in Northamptonshire.
Maurice had three older siblings: Stephen Morton Mackenzie born on the 24th of May 1880 and baptized on the 23th of June 1880 at Finsbury St Luke in Islington; Diana Helen Mackenzie born on the 1st of November 1882 and baptized on the 18th of December 1882 at Finsbury St Luke in Islington and Andrew Ronald Mackenzie born on the 16th of April 1884 and baptised on the 19th of May 1884 at Finsbury St Luke in Islington.
From 1880 to 1887 (1887 was the year of Maurice’s baptism) the family lived at 26 Finsbury Square in Islington and the children’s father worked as a physician.
At the time of the 1881 Census Stephen jnr was already married to Helen and the family: Stephen, Helen and 11 months old Stephen Morton, were staying with Helen’s father Benjamin, a now retired medical practitioner at Midland Road Brooklands in Wellingborough Northamptonshire. Stephen jnr worked as a physician. He obtained his doctorate at Aberdeen University and became a member of the Fellow Royal College of Surgeons. Benjamin employed a cook, a housemaid and a nursemaid.
1891 Census reads that the family moved to The Vale Farm in Chesham Buckinghamshire. Stephen was a registered practitioner and physician and Maurice was 3 years old. The family was becoming (or already was) affluent in their own right and was able to employ a servant called Olive Simons: a 32 years old woman from Old Bolinbroke in Lincolnshire.
1901 Census reads that the family moved to Merry Court in Great Bookham in Surrey (near Leatherhead). The family employed a lady’s maid, a housemaid and a cook. At the time of the census Maurice didn’t reside at home. The thirteen years old boy was a boarder of Lancelot Sanderson, a 63 years old vicar and owner of the Elstree Hill House and School from Lancaster. The Elstree Hill House was situated at High Street Elstree in the parish of Edgware in Middlesex.
By the 1911 Census Maurice had become a medical student. He was studying in London and the family was able to board young Maurice in the household of Jonathan Hutchinson 51 years old consulting surgeon born in Reigate, Surrey who lived in 1 Park Crescent St Marylebone, London (next to Regent’s Park). The household employed 4 servants and had 20 rooms. Maurice attended the Royal College of Physicians in London.
1915 Medical Register reads that Maurice Mackenzie living at The Croft Avenue in Dorking registered on the 2nd February 1912 in England. He obtained Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians (licence for physicians practising outside of London) in London 1912 and became a Member of Royal Collage of Physicians in England 1912.
Maurice Mackenzie became part of the Royal Army Medical Corps and was attached to the 2nd Royal Irish Rifles. He became a Temporary Lieutenant. At the time of his service Maurice lived at The Croft Avenue in Dorking.
Maurice Mackenzie and his friend Henry Wynyard Kaye disembarked in France on the 3rd of September 1914.
The 1915 Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser reads: “At the outbreak of war he (Maurice) joined the Red Cross, and with his friend, Captain Kaye, R.A.M.C., organised a hospital at Chateau Laversine, which was placed at the disposal of the British Red Cross Society by Baron Robert de Rothschild. A large number of French and British wounded were successfully treated there until the advance to the Aisne caused the hospital to be evacuated. Kaye and Mackenzie then came home and joined the R.A.M.C. They were posted to the 43rd Field Ambulance, and after training in Aldershot went with the ambulance to France in April (1915), where Lieut. Mackenzie made himself loved and valued during a dangerous and difficult time. In August he was attached as Medical Officer to the 2nd Royal Irish Rifles.“
“He was with them in the attack of September 25th, and in the trenches til his death, when he was killed while attending a wounded man under fire.“
Maurice was killed in action on the 28th of November 1915 in France. He is buried at Le Bized Cemetery Armentieres, Nord, in France. His grave reference is B.1.. His oldest brother Dr Stephen Morton Mackenzie of 9 Rose Hill in Dorking Surrey had on Maurice’s headstone engraved “Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori” (it is sweet and right to die for your country).
Maurice remembered his brother Lieut. Andrew Ronald Mackenzie in his will. On the 28th of March 1916 in London, on the date of probate, Andrew Ronald heard that Maurice left him £617. At the time of the probate Andrew Ronald was serving with the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve. Andrew Ronald Mackenzie also received £88, 11s and 9d in 1916 in Soldier’s Effects. Andrew became a Lieutenant on the 7th of January 1916. During 1916 and 1917 he was part of the Royal Navy Air Service. His regimental number was AA/545 and he received the Victory and the British medals.
Maurice received the Victory and the British War medals and the 1914 Star. He was also awarded by being Mentioned in Dispatches. Through his medical training and bravery he will be remembered. He was 28 years old.
Born Holborn, London
Son of Sir Stephen Mackenzie and Lady Helen Mackenzie nee Dulley.
Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps. Attached 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles
Date of Death 28th November 1915
Place of Death France
Cause of Death Killed in Action
Cemetery Le Bizet Cemetery, Armentieres, France