Corporal Thomas McFarlane

Thank you to Patricia Brazier for the following research.

Thomas was born in 1876 in the parish of St. Ninians in Stirlingshire Scotland His parents are John and Helen.

In the 1891 census, Thomas is living with his family in St Ninians. He has two brothers; Alexander aged 22 and James aged 17, and one sister Gabella aged 25. Thomas is 14 and employed as an apprentice coach painter. His father, John is a shoemaker.

In November 1897, he joined the Royal Artillery at Woolwich. His attestation papers describe him as being 5 feet and 4 inches tall, with grey eyes and dark brown hair. He served 12 years with the Royal Artillery, including 4 years in India. He left in 1909.

On the 2nd December 1911, Thomas married Sarah Emma Niblett at the Parish church of Dorking. Sarah was born in Dorking and baptised at the parish church on 30th May 1883, her parents are William, a groom and Mary Ann. Their address is High Street, Dorking. Both Thomas and Sarah had been working in Kensington. Sarah worked as a domestic servant in a household in Albert Court and Thomas as a chauffeur in Queensbury Mews. They had one son, Ronald Page McFarlane, who was born around 1913 and one daughter, Isabella born in 1915 in Toxteth Park.

On the outbreak of the First World War, Thomas joined the Royal Army Service Corps. He died on 6th March 1919 and is buried in St. Ninians Old Churchyard, in Stirlingshire, where he was born.

Sarah returned to Dorking, with Ronald and Isabella and lived at 8 Rothes Road. She married Henry Charles Chapman in August 1926 and continued to live in Dorking, later moving to 26 Wathern Road.  Isabella married Douglas William James Turner in September 1937.  Ronald married Vera Fry in Wandsworth in 1938.

Born St. Ninians, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Son of John and Helen McFarlane
Husband of Sarah Emma Niblett
Father of Ronald Page and Isabella McFarlane
Regiment Royal Army Service Corps
Number M2/114510
Date of Death 6th March 1919
Place of Death United Kingdom
Age 43
Cemetery St,Ninians Old Churchyard, Stirlingshire