Arthur’s adoptive father William George Salmons was born on the 9th of June 1857 in Romford, Essex.
William’s parents were called William (variously described as a labourer, husbandman and a thatcher) and Elizabeth Salmons nee Goodwin.
William was born in about 1830 and Elizabeth in about 1832 at Blythburgh, Suffolk. The couple were married at St Edward’s Church, Romford, on the 10th of October 1856. William died early the following year and was buried on the 2nd of February 1857, at St Edward’s, Romford. William did not live to see his son and namesake who was born in June that year.
At the time of the 1861 Census William’s widowed mother Elizabeth Salmons was employed as a domestic cook at Paradise Place, Leyton, Essex. The whereabouts of William at this time is not clear.
Elizabeth Salmons remarried on the 8th of April 1866 at Walthamstow, Essex. Her husband and William’s new stepfather was George William How who was born at Walthamstow in about 1833.
At the time of the 1871 Census William was reunited with his mother. George How was working as a bricklayer and there were three additional children in the family. Priscilla born in 1866 and baptised at Leyton on the 23rd of September that year, George born in 1868 and baptised at Leyton on the 12th of April that year, and Christopher born in 1869 and baptised on the 6th of June that year at Walthamstow, Essex. The family lived at Shern Hall Place, West Ham.
Arthur’s adoptive mother Emily Stone nee Salmons was born on the 13th of August 1858 at Garden Street, St John Sepulchre, Norwich, Norfolk.
Emily’s parents were called Philip and Hannah Stone nee Outlaw.
Philip was born on the 3rd of March 1835 in Arminghall, Norfolk and was baptised there on the 15th of March 1835. Hannah Outlaw was born about 1831 in North Tuddenham, Norfolk. The couple were married on the 19th of December 1855 in Norwich. Philip could not write his own name and so placed a mark on the Marriage Register.
At the time of the 1861 Census Philip, Hannah and their two daughters Mary Elizabeth and Emily lived at Doris Lane, Norwich. Hannah was the head of the household. She was working as a dressmaker. Philip was a blacksmith.
At the time of the 1871 Census Emily was living at 125 Fleet Street, the London home of her uncle Alfred Stone (a waiter), his wife Susannah and one of their three children.
Arthur’s adoptive parents William George Salmons and Emily Stone were married on the 8th of August 1880 at the Nonconformist New Chapel, Church Path, Walthamstow, Essex. William was working as a labourer and lived at 10 Brandon Road and Emily lived in Hoe Street, both in Walthamstow.
Eight months later when the 1881 Census was taken William and Emily were living at 15 Cuthbert Road in Walthamthow. William was working as a gardener. They shared the address with William’s mother, Elizabeth How. She had been widowed for a second time and was working as a laundress. Her only daughter, Priscilla, was in service but lived at home while her younger sons, George and Christopher, were still at school.
William George and Emily Salmons had two birth children: William Philip Salmons born on the 9th of January 1886 in Walthamstow, Essex and baptised there on the 7th of February 1886, and Maud Emily Salmons born in the 9th April 1888 in Walthamstow, and baptised at St Mary’s, Walthamstow on the 6th of May 1888.
On the 26th of December 1889 William George Salmon’s half-sister, Priscilla How, married William Bish, a twenty-four-year-old gardener. The ceremony took place at St Peter and St Paul Church, Nutfield, Surrey. A son, George William Bish, was born on the 22nd of September 1890 at Rockshaw Cottages, in Chaldon, Caterham, Surrey. Priscilla died of typhoid fever on the 14th of October and was buried at St Peter and St Paul, Nutfield on the 17th of October 1890. Two days later her son was baptised at the same church.
William George and Emily Salmons took on the care of their nephew. At the time of the 1891 Census, the family lived at Tower Cottages, High Street, Nutfield. William George was working as a coachman and Emily was looking after their children William Philip Salmons, Maud Emily Salmons and adopted son George William Bish.
George William Bish had a short life. On the 21st of January 1895 he succumbed to septicaemia, double pneumonia and peritonitis. His death took place at Rockshaw Cottages, the home of his father who had remarried on the 23rd of August 1891. George William was buried on the 28th of January 1895, at St Peter and St Paul, Nutfield, Surrey in a grave shared with his mother.
At the time of the 1901 Census, William George and Emily Salmons lived at Waverley Court, Entrance Lodge, Camberley, Surrey. William was working as a gardener and Emily was looking after their children: confectioner’s apprentice William Philip Salmons, scholar Maud Emily Salmons and an adopted son Arthur George Farmer (Salmons). It is not known when Arthur was introduced to the family but he was born about 1893 in Greenwich, Middlesex to an unknown woman.
William George Salmons died on the 17th of March 1906 at Withdeane, Lower London Road, Camberley, Surrey and was buried on the 21st March 1906, at St Michael, York Town, Camberley.
At the time of the 1911 Census widowed Emily Salmons and her daughter Maud were both living-in at Virginia Cottage, Roman Road, Dorking, Surrey. Emily worked as a cook and Maud as a housemaid. The whereabouts at this time of Emily’s son William Philip Salmons is not known but he was to die of tuberculocis on the 27th of March 1913 at 74 Falkland Road, Dorking. In 1911 Emily’s adopted son Arthur George Salmons (Farmer) was a footman to Norman McCorqudale at Winslow Hall, Winslow, Buckinghamshire.
On the 11th of March 1915 Maud Emily Salmons married Charles Henry Childs at St Anne’s Church, Bagshot, Surrey. Less than a month later, on the 4th of April 1915, Arthur George Salmons (Farmer) married by Banns Annie Agnes Daley at St Martin’s Church in Dorking. Arthur’s widowed mother, Emily Salmons, was one of the witnesses and his brother-in-law, Charles Henry Childs, was another. At the time of the marriage, the couple lived at 39 Hart Road in Dorking and Arthur was working as an assistant wine merchant.
Annie Agnes Daley was born on the 2nd of August 1894 in Lowestoft, Suffolk to smacks man (fisherman) Joseph Daley and Emily Daley nee Firman. Annie’s parents Joseph Daley and Emily Firman married on the 4th of November 1893 in Blundeston, Suffolk.
Annie’s paternal grandparents were called Charles Daniel Daley and Margaret Daley nee Milarick. Both were born in Bermondsey, Charles in about 1836 and Margaret in about 1839.
Charles (then a railway ostler) and Margaret were married on the 15th of August 1858 at Holy Trinity Church, Dockhead, Bermondsey and their five known children were all born in the area. Annie’s father, Joseph, was the youngest. He was born at 2 Alderminster Terrace, Bermondsey on the 21st of March 1868. His mother died of tuberculocis on the 3rd of June that same year at Bermondsey Workhouse.
At the time of the 1871 Census the widower Charles Daniel Daley was living with his five children at 140 Bidder Street, Canning Town and was working as a dock labourer. Ten years later the family had moved to 1 Quadrant Street, Canning Town and only the three youngest children still lived at home. Charles died there of typhoid fever and bronchitis on the 22nd of April 1881 and had been working as a gardener.
On the 5th of November 1883 Annie’s father, Joseph Daley, was indentured in the merchant navy as a fishing apprentice. He was bound to a Mr F Pearse of Lowestoft for a period of five years. At the time of the 1891 Census Joseph was a visitor at the home of his future mother-in-law, Agnes Firman, in Short Road, Blundeston, a village near Lowestoft, Suffolk.
Annie’s maternal grandparents were called William and Agnes Firman nee Twigg. William was born on the 14th of November 1840 at Great Barton, Suffolk. Agnes was born on the 5th of December 1843 at Hoe, Norfolk and was baptised there on the 31st of December that year.
William and Agnes were married on the 7th of February 1865 at St John the Baptist, Lound, Suffolk and had eight known children, six girls and two boys. Annie’s mother, Emily, was the third oldest child. She was born on the 10th of January 1870 at Blundeston, Suffolk.
William Firman was a fisherman and at the time 1871 Census he was master of the Eustace and is listed with four other crew members on board the vessel. His wife Agnes and their then three children were listed at the family home in the High Street, Blundeston.
At the time of the 1881 Census William was still working as a fisherman but was ashore and is listed alongside Agnes and six of their then seven children living at Market Lane, Blundeston. The last of their children, Janet Firman, was born is 1884.
By 1887 William Firman was skipper of the Shepherd, a sailing trawler registered at Lowestoft and owned by Henry Charles Wise. On the 12th of October 1887 the vessel was run into and abandoned. William Firman drowned.
At the time of the 1891 Census Agnes Firman is listed as a widowed laundress living with her four youngest children in Short Road, Blundeston, and where her future son-in-law, Joseph Daley, is listed as a visitor. At this time Emily Firman and her older sister Agnes were both employed at 55 Bouverie Road West, Folkstone, Kent in the home of William Edward Allfree a seventy-five-year-old clerk in holy orders. Agnes worked as a parlourmaid and Emily as a housemaid.
Joseph Daley and Emily Firman were married on the 4th of November 1893 at Blundeston, Suffolk. Annie Agnes was their first child and was born on the 2nd of August 1894 at Lowestoft. She was followed by Janet May in 1896 and Joseph in 1898. At the time of the 1901 Census the family were living at 49 Stevens Street, Lowestoft, close by the Inner Harbour.
Before 1911 three more children were born: Harry on the 14th of November 1901, William Charles who was born in 1904 but died before he was a year old, and David born on the 22nd of September 1907. At the time of the 1911 Census, Annie was working as a shop assistant at a photographer’s and was living with her mother Emily and four siblings at 57 Stanford Street, Lowestoft, Suffolk.
By 1911 Annie’s father, Joseph Daley, was skipper of the Genesta, a 62 ton ketch-rigged sailing trawler built in 1888. The vessel was owned by Charles H. Crews of Lowestoft and was registered at that port. The boat went missing on 27 September 1911 and Joseph was supposed drowned and the vessel lost.
Sometime after this tragedy the family migrated to Dorking where Annie Agnes Daley married Arthur George Salmons (Farmer) on the 4th of April 1915. Arthur’s widowed mother, Emily Salmons nee Stone, was one of the witnesses and his brother-in-law, Charles Henry Childs, was another.
Charles Henry Childs was killed in action on the 2nd of December 1917 and his name appears on the South Street War Memorial, as do those of two of Emily Salmons nephews
Frederick Henry Baxter and his brother Philip John Wood Baxter. Annie’s younger brother, Joseph Daley, was a member of the Machine Gun Corps and died in France on the 7th of November 1918. At the time he was reported to be a native of Lowestoft and the son of Emily Daley nee Firman of 7 Hart Gardens, Dorking, Surrey.