PANEL 2: Horses and Hunting – the revival of the Surrey Yeomanry
Horses and Hunting – the revival of the Surrey Yeomanry
The revival of a mounted regiment for the county was proposed by Viscount Midleton, Lord Lieutenant of Surrey and Secretary of State for War, in 1900. At the time troops were being recruited to fight in southern Africa where Britain was attempting to bring two Boer republics under British control by force following the discovery of gold on Boer land. The war was extremely popular with the British public.
The Surrey (Princess of Wales’ Lancers) Imperial Yeomanry was raised the following year by Lieutenant Colonel Henry Cubitt, son of Lord Ashcombe of Denbies. The regiment’s first annual training camp was held in the grounds of Denbies on 31 July 1901 under Cubitt’s command.
Once again the regiment’s headquarters were in Clapham. The new unit’s uniform was based on that of the Australian New South Wales Lancers whose style had been much admired when they paraded at Queen Victoria’s funeral. When George V came to the throne in 1910 the regiment was renamed Queen Mary’s after the new Queen. It was the first regiment to be armed only with the magazine rifle, the first to undergo annual training on Government horses and the first to adopt a light colonial saddle.
Volunteers to the Yeomanry underwent a stringent riding test. Its officers were drawn from well-to-do county families like the Cubitts whose members hunted together with the Surrey Union Hunt, their horses and dogs transported around the countryside to pursue foxes at the request of local livestock owners. When war broke out in 1914 the government encouraged the hunt to continue in order to maintain horse stocks but the Surrey Union struggled as its officers and horses were commandeered for war service.