Thank you to Lenka Cathersides for the following research.
Phyllis Bowen Godwin was born on 9th October 1897 in Wimbledon, Surrey to wallpaper manufacturer John George Godwin Bowen and Ethel Mary Richardson.
She was baptised on 9th November 1897 at All Saints church, South Wimbledon. At the time of the baptism, the family lived at 2 Crescent Road, North Wimbledon.
At the time of the 1901 Census, the family lived at 10 Edith Villas, Fulham, London. John was still working as a wallpaper manufacturer and Ethel was at home with their daughter Phyllis. The family employed two servants, Harriet and Rose Gasson.
At the time of the 1911 Census, Phyllis was staying with her maternal grandaunt, widowed Kate Dullea, at the Hive, Holmwood, Dorking. At the Hive also resided Phyllis’ mother, Ethel and maternal grandmother, the widowed Eliza Richardson. Eliza and Kate were sisters. The family was looked after by a domestic servant. The Hive had nine rooms.
Phyllis married Maurice Gedes Parsons on 3rd June 1925 at St George’s church, Hanover Square, London. Phyllis’ mother Ethel was a witness. Her father, John was already deceased. At the time of their marriage, Maurice was a Lieutenant of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders and lived at Brown’s Hotel, Dover Street, W.I. Phyllis lived at 7 Queen’s Elm Square, Chelsea, S.W.3.
Maurice Gedes Parsons became the 2nd Lieutenant of the Cameron Highlanders on 20th December 1918.
Life after the First World War
Maurice and Phyllis departed on the SS Sagaing from Liverpool to Rangoon, Burma on 26th April 1926. The couple stated that their country of intended future residence was to be Burma.
Phyllis and Maurice had a daughter Pauline G. Parsons, born in the 2nd quarter of 1929 in Chelsea, London.
Maurice, Phyllis and Pauline Parsons arrived on the SS Sagaing in London on 5th October 1930. Mr Parsons was in army service. The ship sailed from Rangoon, Burma. The couple stated that their country of intended future residence was to be England.
Maurice died in the 3rd quarter of 1984 in the Registration District of Reading & Wokingham, Berkshire.
Phyllis Bowen Parsons remarried Michael Dennis Fairrie in the 2nd quarter of 1934 in Chelsea.
According to the British Phone Books registers Phyllis Bowen Fairrie lived with her husband Michael Dennis Fairrie at Durrants Manor, Coolham, Shipley, Horsham, Sussex. Phyllis lived here until her death in 1977.
Godwin Family History
Phyllis’ mother Ethel Mary Richardson was born about 1873 in Epsom, Surrey, to Thomas and Eliza (nee Brewer), born about 1842 in Richmond, Surrey. She was baptised on 5th July 1873 in Epsom. Eliza’s mother was called Eliza who was born about 1814 in Bushey, Hertfordshire.
At the time of the 1881 Census, the family lived at Thompsons Cottages Parade, Epsom. The widowed Eliza was living on her own means, with her daughters Winifred and Ethel. The family was looked after by cook Matilda Standen and housemaid Phillis Standen.
At the time of the 1891 Census, the family lived at Parade Gardens, Epsom. Eliza was the owner of a steam agricultural machinery company and her daughters Winifred and Ethel were at home. The family further comprised of Eliza’s mother, the widowed Eliza and brother, bookkeeper, William Brewer. They were all looked after by domestic servant Ellen A. Harding.
Phyllis’ father John George Bowen Godwin was born on 2nd June 1863 in Chelsea to wallpaper manufacturer John, born in Chelsea and Catherine, born in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. John was baptised on 26th July 1863 at St Luke’s church, Chelsea. At the time of the baptisms, the family lived at 7 Park Place, London. John Godwin was a ‘paper hanging’ manufacturer.
At the time of the 1891 Census, the family lived at 6 Warwick Gardens, South Kensington, London. John was working as a wallpaper manufacturer, Catherine was at home and their son John George Bowen was also a wallpaper manufacturer. The family had a servant.
Ethel and John married on 28th October 1896 at Christ Church in Epsom. At the time of their marriage, Ethel lived in Epsom and John at 37 Eardley Crescent, Earls Court, London.